Make Seed Balls
Make Exploding Seed Balls!
Want to have some fun while making the world a greener, more environmentally-friendly place? Make exploding balls of seeds that are both fun to throw and an easy way to grow native wildflowers.
Here’s what you need (makes 8-10 balls):
- 1/2 oz native wildflower seeds.
- 3 1/2 oz dry, organic potting soil
- 1 1/2 oz dry clay (we suggest powdered red pottery clay)
- A mixing bowl
- A cookie sheet for drying the seed balls
- wax paper
Here’s what to do:
- Line cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Mix seeds and potting soil together.
- Add dry clay and mix again.
- Slowly add water while still mixing the seeds, potting soil, and water into a well-blended paste.
- When you are able to form a ball of the blended material without it falling apart, you are ready to stop mixing.
- Mold the mixture into small (~1 inch diameter) balls and place cookie sheet or tray with wax paper.
- Allow balls to dry in the sun for at least one day.
Now that I have made seed balls, what do I do with them?
- All you have to do is throw them at a patch of dirt and watch it explode! Once it rains (or you water them), they have everything they need to grow.
- They also make great gifts! Put them in a plastic bag and give them to all your friends.