Gallery of Oceans
Disclaimer: This material is being kept online for historical purposes. Though accurate at the time of publication, it is no longer being updated. The page may contain broken links or outdated information, and parts may not function in current web browsers.
Gallery of Oceans
- A scuba diver checks on an unhealthy coral reef. Global warming can cause coral reefs to bleach, a process that makes them lose their vibrant colors. Photograph by K. Lindsey Kramer.
- A healthy coral reef in the Palmyra Atoll National Wildlife Refuge.Photo credit: US Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Soldier fish swim under a coral reef. Reefs like these provide a habitat for many organisms, but are threatened by global warming.Photo credit: US Fish and Wildlife Service.
- A ring-shaped coral reef known as an atoll with a lagoon in the center. Coral reefs are threatened by global warming. Photo credit: US Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Staghorn Coral showing signs of bleaching, a process attributed to global warming that causes reefs to loose their vibrant color. Photograph by Sarah Depper.
- An underwater oil pipeline burns after a collision with a tugboat. Photograph by Petty Officer 3rd Class Carlos Vega.
- Rocks contaminated by an oil spill off the coast of New Zealand. Photograph by Robin Ohia.
- Without a sanitary way of disposing of waste, beautiful areas like this beach in Haiti can become covered in trash. Photo credit: UN Photo/Sophia Paris.
- A pelican covered in spilled oil waits to be cleaned. Photo credit: Tom MacKenzie, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Workers wash off rocks on the shore in the aftermath of an oil spill.
- Waste that is not properly disposed of can end up polluting otherwise beautiful areas. Here, trash washes up on the shore near Dili, Timor-Leste. Photo credit: UN Photo/Martine Perret.
- NASA satellite image of a massive oil spill caused by the petroleum company BP in the Gulf of Mexico. Oil spills are major environmental disasters that can destroy natural ecosystems. Photo credit: NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center.
- An oil spill off the coast of western Australia. Oil spills are major environmental disasters that can destroy natural ecosystems. Photograph by Chris Twomey.