Play Climate Trivia!
You must select an answer.
How much do you know about climate science? Test your knowledge in this edition of Climate Change Trivia!
Correct! You got it right!
The correct answer is actually:
Congratulations! You got them all right!
Nice work! You got out of right. That gives you a score of .
You're almost there! You got out of right. That gives you a score of .
Try again to see if you can become a Climate Kids Champion!
You are now a Climate Kids Champion! Try again to see if you can become a Climate Guru!
You are now a Climate Guru!
What is a greenhouse gas?
- A gas that traps heat on Earth by preventing it from returning to space.
- A gas that builds up in a greenhouse after the plants have had one too many burritos.
- A gas made famous by its ability to strip green paint off of a house with its horrid smell.
- A gas produced by the infamous green housefly.
Without the greenhouse effect:
- There would be no life on Earth.
- We would all have to live in actual greenhouses and become good friends with plants.
- We'd all be talking about the purplehouse effect.
- All of our homes would be painted brown.
Trees can help remove carbon dioxide (a greenhouse gas) from the atmosphere by:
- Taking it in from the air for growth.
- Intentionally falling down and blocking roads, preventing cars from burning fossil fuels.
- Giving great-but long-winded-speeches about the importance of protecting our planet.
- Intimidating it with their great height.
Global warming causes sea level to rise because:
- All of these answers.
- It prevents ice and glaciers from forming, slowing down how much water is removed from the ocean each winter.
- It causes glaciers and ice caps to melt, putting more water into our oceans.
- Hotter things expand, and the warmer the ocean, the larger it gets.
Global warming can be caused by:
- Humans releasing carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
- Extremely vigorous dancing, leading to pockets of immense heat coming from dance clubs.
- Ice cube companies removing ice from the arctic and selling the pieces for massive profit.
- A global shortage in air conditioners.
Fossil fuels, like the gas we put into our cars, comes from:
- Organisms, mainly algae and other small life forms, that died and were buried millions of years in the past.
- Natural history museums.
- Cavemen dinner leftovers.
- The internet.
Global warming is causing the ocean to get warmer, resulting in:
- Coral reefs getting sick and losing their color.
- More beach vacations.
- An increase in people mistaking the ocean for their own personal bathtub, leading to an increase in ocean soapiness.
- A reduced need to cook lobster before eating it.
Which of these weather events can be worsened by global warming?
- Flying pigs
- Raining cats and dogs
- Falling sky
Clean energy is:
- A form of energy that does not release greenhouse gases or other pollutants into the atmosphere.
- The energy hotel workers use to get rooms ready for the next guest
- An energy drink that doesn't leave a stain if you spill it
- The positive energy you get if you don't use curse words
As the polar ice caps melt, the world could warm even faster because:
- The ice acts like a mirror, reflecting the sun's energy back into space.
- It will make polar regions seem like a nice summer vacation spot. All that new plane traffic will release even more carbon dioxide into the air.
- The caps act like Earth's hat, covering up its bald spots. Without them its cheeks get red and hot from embarrassment.
- They are Earth's favorite toys. When you take away Earth's favorite toy, it gets angry. When it gets angry, it heats up.
Why are electric cars a good way to help reduce global warming?
- They don't release greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.
- They are super cool. So cool that they actually cool the Earth.
- They can go so fast that the winds they create help the Earth cool down a bit.
- They go so slow that after a while people just end up walking to work-the most environmentally friendly mode of transportation.
Which of the following can help reduce the amount of greenhouse gas released to the atmosphere?
- Flying with a bunch of your friends to the beach, with each of you in your own private plane.
- Powering your home's air conditioner with a gas generator while you are away on vacation.
- Spending your free time frantically running outside with a special carbon dioxide capturing net.
Why is it a good idea to turn off lights and other electronics when you are not using them?
- Because all that energy comes from somewhere, and more likely than not it is coming from a power plant that is burning fossil fuels.
- Because they might get bored after a long run of shining and beeping for nobody.
- Because your parents might think that you are playing videos games for a longer amount of time than you actually are. This could lead to less video game time.
- Because I told you so.
As global temperatures rise, areas in the Arctic could release even more greenhouse gas because:
- The frozen ground contains greenhouse gases like methane and carbon dioxide, and when the ground thaws, the gas would be released.
- Bigfoot, a notoriously gassy species, would come out of hibernation.
- Locals would burn their jackets to celebrate the milder winters, releasing greenhouse gases.
- The urge to do spring cleaning up north would be so great that the increase in vacuum use would use up a ton of energy, burning fossil fuels in the process.
Which greenhouse gas is abundant in Earth's atmosphere?
- Water vapor
- Carbon dioxide
- Cow gas
- Goat burps